Sea Fever


"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking,
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over."

(John Masefield, Sea Fever) 

--
It’s a cold and soggy sort of day, which means it’s a day that I can’t help but dream of being elsewhere.

These were the first photos I took on film with my 35 mm. Maine in November, 2004. All sea, sand and sharp air. The photos are not as they should be but I like them all the more for their streaks of light and blurred lines. The wind shook us that day, as we stood on the beach wrapped in wool coats and thick gloves. 

If it must be damp and cold, oh, give me the sea. 

Comments

  1. mmm light leaks in film are the most beautiful. love this. although i'm a poor california wimp and can only stand the beach when it's blazing hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach in the winter is beautiful. But I'm with you, it's way better when it's warm! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note!

Popular Posts