note to self:



"I’ve been aching to write this book, because writing is one of the primary ways I learn anything, and I’m aching to move from exhaustion to passion, from comparison to connection. I want to forgive myself for all the things I’m not, all the things I’ve been trying so hard to be. And I want to hold out my hand and invite the people I love into that same compassion, for ourselves, for one another. I want to be free to love wildly, to be silly, to fail and try again because bravery is worth infinitely more than staying safe on the sidelines, afraid to look foolish."

~Shauna Niequist 

--

I said that I was was going to make time to write, but the truth is, we went out and bought ice cream instead. I snapped photos to prove it, as if I needed evidence that, once again, I had set a goal and then abandoned it straight away. 

You would think that, by now, I would have learned not to compare myself to others. But then I do and have to learn that lesson all over again. 

On a drive south yesterday, we talked about pride and the way that it inhibits deep relationships. It aches to confess such failures, but once we are past the soreness, I believe we will feel richer for it. More free to forgive ourselves for all the things we are not, all the things we have been trying so hard to be. For me, the fear of feeling foolish can, at times, be the most crippling.

Comments

  1. Again, you've captured my sentiments as of late precisely. Thank you for being brave xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! The author, and you, articulate many of my similar thoughts so plainly. Go team!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note!

Popular Posts