Paris, France

There is something about that pace of life in Europe that pulls me. I feel as if I am bound, tethered, to the enigmatic  routine of slow mornings and long lunches. As if, looking at this way of life, I can say, "Oh, you and I, we understand  each other."  Please, pass the espresso.

That said, I surprised myself by taking far fewer photos in Paris than we did in Switzerland the week before. You see, Paris...well, here is the thing about Paris: she exists differently for each of us. And for me,  too many readings of A Moveable Feast meant that the modern Paris was not quite what I expected. It was louder, sharper. But still lovely.

We did all the touristy things that one must do while in Paris: Musee d'Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. But there were other things too - dinners at Brasserie Lipp and Le Hibo, Saturday morning markets, walks along the Seine, and twice daily visits to the local boulangerie for baguettes. 

We learned that the French buy their baguettes in the evening, and after a bit of observation we timed our visits to the local bakery right when the bread was coming fresh out of the oven. And let me tell you, piping hot French baguettes? Unbelievable. We learned to buy two: one for later, and one for consuming on the walk home. Zack was thrilled to discover that it is very French to take large bites out of the top of your baguette as you walk away from the boulangerie, and we became firm converts to "Baguette Culture. "

So without further ado, a few photos from our week in Paris...


More photos of our time in Europe, here.

Comments

Popular Posts