on bookish things


(Alternate title: Netflix vs. The Novel)

If you've hung around these parts for any real length of time, you'll know that I am a book person. I love reading. In my world, any kind of vacation, road trip, or Sunday afternoon includes some quality time with a novel. The snapshots above are all volumes I've read this year (and I can't tell you how pleasing it is that goodreads keeps a list of all the novels I have read and want to read -- lists upon lists upon lists). 

Yet, as a reader, I struggle with two things: the notion of book-reading as a list to be checked off (so really, that goodreads list can be more of a curse than a blessing). Rushing though a story, just so you can add a book to your "read" list turns the larger experience of immersing yourself into the written word into a mere accomplishment. And, sometimes, I fear the race to finish takes away all other forms of joy that can be had while reading. I love that I have managed to read thirty-nine books already this year; I hate that I have contentedly ambled through so few of those stories.

My other struggle is this: Netflix. I have to admit that sometimes, when I'm tired or distracted, I find myself drifting off halfway through a page. I might pull out my iPhone for a minute, then re-read the same page again because I find it impossible to pay attention to what I am reading. And sometimes, when this happens, I will close my book, and husband and I will will turn to Netflix instead. Reading and writing are my passions, but they certainly require a little bit more work than turning on an old episode of The Office, and sometime I just don't have the energy.

But then, occasionally (and this is a wonderful thing), I'll begin a book that is so gripping, so enthralling, that it beats Netflix every time. The kind that keeps you reading late into the night, even though you have a job and adult responsibilities the next morning.

Autumn is built for many things, and books count among them.

I suppose what I am saying is this: I am trying to make more room for thoughtful reading. To gently step from story to story, in a way that flows rather than races to keep up. And also, to find a better balance of the time spent with Nettflix and the time spent with novels. So here's to hoping.

(Am I the only one who thinks these things?)

Comments

  1. This is something I've been trying for the past year... 1.) Because I don't have the time to fly through like I used to. 2.) Because when I do get the chance to sit down and read for pleasure, I don't like to rush. It definitely makes me appreciate stories and ideas and even characters more. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note!

Popular Posts